Sunday, July 10, 2011

Developing a writing style

My approach to writing July 2011 has two distinct streams: 1) Joke writing. 2) Free association, stream of consciousness thoughts that develop and explore an overall life philosophy. They seem to be separate activities so far but hopefully over time they will merge so the more reflective, philosophical thoughts will yield jokes. I’ve been trying to tie these two streams of thoughts together but for some reason they stay unbinded. One reason is that when I start writing about more philosophical things I develop a lecturing tone. Like I have something the world doesn’t understand and needs to be taught. It feels stringent and harsh and not funny. And I’ve been frustrated by that but I think I’m just going to accept it and let it develop at its own pace and be okay with the fact that joke writing diverges from my overall thoughts about life. That’s how it is now. If I keep working on both tracks of thought at some point they’ll merge or I’ll develop a better approach just by continuing to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment