Saturday, February 28, 2009

In a recession, should you settle?

Response to a blog post about taking what you can in a down economy. I like her perspective.

Great post, Nisha. I’m only seven years into my professional career, but I can tell you that the job or two I’ve had that I was not passionate about at least helped me hone my skills. So if you need to “settle” for something that is not your dream gig, it’s okay. You’ve still got to take care of yourself with food and shelter and whatnot. As long as you are learning it’s not a waste.

Try your best to find a means-to-an-end gig that will still test your creative and mental abilities. No, it may not be what you want to do forever, but it’s not a waste if you are learning good lessons (even if they are defined by what NOT to do) and meeting new people.

I don’t think it’s too demanding for us to know what we want and strive to work our passions - but there is still something to be said for life experience, regardless of the sector or pay scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment