Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How to spend your time in college

Penelope Trunk is a badass. I could read her blog all day and night stopping only to read her Twitter updates. This is a great guest column:

http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2007/12/04/twentysomething-why-i-regret-getting-straight-as-in-college/

I especially enjoyed it because it gave me the opportunity to be smug about a decision I made in college. Freshman and sophomore year I busted my ass academically. I had fun, but was very vigilant about maintaining high grades. Junior year, I stopped and looked around. Like Ferris says you're supposed to. I realized I had almost unwittingly developed a stellar group of friends and I only had two years left to spend heaps of time with them.

Only two more years to alter the scoreboard at a Mercer Bears baseball game to briefly contend we were somehow beating FSU. Two more years to sit in the cafeteria from the time it opened for lunch at 11:15 to the time it closed at 2:15. To somehow end up bumping bare bellies on the ground with Coby Nixon outside the bar Darrell's near closing time. Besides the possibility we are gay I can't for the life of me figure out why we did that.

I realized that I cared far more about helping a frat brother pull a Greek letter off a rival frat house at three in the morning than reading 14 chapters of Industrial Psychology. I'd hear stories of Friday and Saturday nights spent studying, cramming, achieving. Fuck that.

My decision to embrace the theory that "learnin' is more than just books" probably shaved half a point off my college GPA. And I don't give a green goddamn! I suppose I didn't get into UGA law school because of it but you know what? I didn't really want to go to law school anyway.

I'm not advocating dropping out of college or declining into alcoholism during the first two years of your twenties. But if you have to choose between a 3.8 and limited social memories versus a 3.3 with a swarm of parties, booze, and laughing uncontrollably at ridiculous antics and comments...well my friends, for the love of Christ choose the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment