Saturday, July 18, 2009

Getting punched

I think one of the most surprising things I've enjoyed about living in New York City is the chance to kick my own ass a bit. I'm certainly susceptible to getting comfortable and leaving it at that. But here I've forced myself to go out and try and screw up and suck and feel bad and recover. It's addictive. The metaphor I run against again and again is getting punched in the mouth. I like getting my ass kicked (metaphorically) from time to time. It's easy to sit back and assess and critique everything that the media and content creators present to us. But when we are the ones creating the entertainment the burden of enjoyment suddenly rests on our shoulders. If you suck it's because you sucked not because upper management cut your budget in half. It's not because of external factors. It's because of you. Or because you haven't quite figured out the winning formula yet. That's the beauty of stand up. If you succeed you own the success and accolades 100%. It's not an ensemble. It's high risk high reward. Which is why I'm getting out of it starting right now. Kidding. I think.

As much as it hurts to not feel like your ideas were well received, at the end of the night you can pat yourself on the back for putting your ideas out there. You gave it a shot. That in itself I feel falls within the blurry exterior lines of art. Maybe it doesn't but hey there's a decent chance it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment